By Paul Rouzer
40 classes designed to introduce starting scholars to the elemental styles and buildings of Classical chinese language are taken from a couple of pre-Han and Han texts chosen to offer scholars a grounding in exemplary Classical chinese language sort. extra classes use texts from later sessions to assist scholars savour the alterations in written chinese language over the centuries. each one lesson involves a textual content, a vocabulary checklist that includes discussions of which means and utilization, motives of grammar, and explications of inauspicious passages. the normal sleek chinese language, eastern, and Korean pronunciations are indicated for every personality, making this a studying instrument for local audio system of these languages to boot. Appendices provide feedback for extra readings, overview universal and demanding phrases, clarify the unconventional procedure, and supply jap kanbun readings for all of the decisions. Glossaries of all vocabulary goods and pronunciation indexes for contemporary chinese language and Korean also are incorporated.
Read Online or Download A New Practical Primer of Literary Chinese (Harvard East Asian Monographs) PDF
Best chinese books
An insightful exploration of the worldwide progress of chinese language manufacturers that offers a distinct chinese language point of view on background and tradition in branding. China's starting to be financial strength is a longtime truth, yet why have chinese language manufacturers thus far been not able to translate good fortune at domestic to overseas popularity?
The Interfaces of chinese language Syntax with Semantics and Pragmatics offers an in-depth exploration of numerous interface phenomena in chinese language, a non-inflectional language, the place to a wide volume be aware order constrains its interpretation and defines its grammatical capabilities. less than the Dynamic Syntax process, which takes the incremental left-to-right processing of linguistic types to be a primary a part of characterizing the relation among syntactic constitution and semantic interpretation, an easy clarification is equipped.
- From Chinese Brand Culture to Global Brands: Insights from aesthetics, fashion, and history
- Patterns and Meanings of Intensifiers in Chinese Learner Corpora
- The Practice of Chinese Medicine: The Treatment of Diseases with Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs (2nd Edition)
- Chinese Art
- Reconfiguring Chinese Nationalism: How the Qing Frontier and its Indigenes Became Chinese
Additional resources for A New Practical Primer of Literary Chinese (Harvard East Asian Monographs)
Radical 72 (日). 68. 反 M: fǎn J: han ハン, kaeru かえる K: ban 반 C: fáan 1. To revolt; to go astray; to be perverse. * 2. To return. 3. On the contrary, contrary to expectations. In all meanings, the idea of a countermotion is implied by this character. Radical 29 (又, “again”). 69. 權 M: quán J: gon ゴン, ken ケン K: gwon 권 C: kyùhn 1. To weigh, to balance [physical objects]. 2. Circumstances, contingencies, temporary situation. * 3. Influence, authority, power. Radical 75 (木, “tree”). 70. 謀 M: móu J: bō ボウ, mu ム, hakaru はかる K: mo 모 C: màuh Plans, schemes, strategy; to plot, to plan; resourceful.
98. 禮 M: lǐ J: rai ライ, rei レイ K: ye 예 C: lái Rites, ceremonies; politeness, etiquette, courtesy; polite, courteous. Another very important term in Conflician thinking, although English translations often fail to convey this. Radical 113 (示). 99. 忠 M: zhōng J: chū チュウ K: chung 충 C: jūng Loyal, faithful; loyalty. Radical 61 (心). 100. 信 M: xìn J: shin シン K: sin 신 C: seun 1. Trustworthy, sincere; to believe; faith, trustworthiness. * 2. Truly, actually. Radical 9 (人). 101. 死 M: sǐ J: shi シ, shinu しぬ K: sa 사 C: séi Death; to die.
Thing, matter, affair, occupation, job. * 2. To serve, to work for; to employ, to have as a servant. In modern Chinese, 物(72) tends to apply to physical objects, whereas 事 applies to matters, affairs, and abstract things. This holds true to a certain extent in literary Chinese, but there is some confusion of the terms. Radical 6 (亅). 77. 成 M: chéng J: sei セイ. jō ジョウ, naru なる, nasu なす K: seong 성 C: sìhng To complete; to accomplish; to perfect; to become. This character is quite common in both transitive use (君成德, “The ruler perfects his vir¬tue") and intransitive use (德成, "Virtue comes to perfection").